Thursday, August 13, 2015

Kali 2.0 x64 on Acer c720

Kali 2.0 came out a few days ago, so I wanted to install it and see if the touchpad and suspend quirks had been worked out for the Acer c720. See previous posts to see how to replace the c720 firmware or install an alternate OS.

I downloaded the Kali 2.0 x64 version and created a bootable USB using Rufus 2.2. I then installed it on the Acer by hitting escape at boot to bring up a boot menu. I selected the USB drive and then the install option. I did not use the graphical install.

There was one problem during install where it complained that it could not mount the CDROM (or a similar error). The fix was simply to remove the USB drive, reinsert it, wait a second for it to initialize, and then tell the scrip to try and mount it again. It was clear sailing after that.

The install went smoothly. I was able to suspend using the power button, but closing the lid still does not suspend. Resume worked fine. However, when shutting down, there was an error compaining about ehci-pci port resume error. It just kept going, and I had to shutdown by holding the power button.

I tried the old fixes for sound and ehci with a script in the sleep.d directory, but that didn't seem to do anything. I then modified the grub file in /etc/default/grub.

I changed
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet modprobe.blacklist=ehci_hcd,ehci_pci"

Then, I had to rebuild using
# update-grub
# update-grub2

This seemed to resolve the error after suspend, but I haven't tested it with bluetooth or usb devices yet. Also, suspend using the lid seems to work now too. I'm not sure why it didn't before. I might have updated a power setting that got it to work.

10 comments:

  1. Is there anyway to make these adjustments in kali terminal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The edit to /etc/default/grub that I mentioned can be done in a terminal using a text editor like vi. In fact, that is how I made the changes. The rebuild is also done in a terminal. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. thanks for this update the grub file but suspend with lid is not working for me. Also have done an apt-get update / upgrade and distro-update without any luck. Would you be able to share how you got the touchpad working correctly? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. update: suspend and lid working somehow... must be an update. But would still like some help to get touchpad working correctly. ie. two finger right click, better sensitivity.

      Delete
    2. I covered that a little in this post: http://jaybee03.blogspot.com/2014/04/fixing-touchpad-on-acer-720p-chromebook.html. I'll have to check this tonight when I have the computer in front of me. I think the location of the system settings may have changed, but I think it is what I used to tweak the touchpad settings.

      Delete
    3. I checked the system setting applet and it does have sensitivity, tap to click, and two finger scroll (not right click) settings. However, two finger right click is enabled and is working fine. I enabled tap to click and two finger scroll when I installed (if they weren't already enabled by default).

      Delete
    4. found the settings. it all "works" however its not the greatest as far as usability and accuracy. Wonder if this is because of the driver it uses. Thanks.

      Delete
    5. It's hard for me to remember how good/bad it was as chromebook. I usually use a USB mouse. So I fired it up and the finger sensitivity isn't great. The post I linked to has a fix for that, which is to add some settings to the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf file. Specifically FingerLow and FingerHigh settings. Those values specify how much finger is needed to register as a click. Google that and you'll find a good link on how to fix it (http://ianrenton.com/guides/howto-linux-and-synaptics-touchpads-for-little-fingers/), which recommends the same values and same solution that I have in my previous post. I think that will fix it for you!

      Delete
    6. I added a new post about the touchpad sensitivity. Could you try that out and see if it helps?

      Delete