Thursday, April 3, 2014

New Toy - Ubertooth One

I felt like exploring and learning some different wireless technologies, so I ordered an Ubertooth One from SparkFun.com.  I wanted to try it with Kali because I knew that there would be some tools and maybe even the Ubertooth software.  I already had Kali 1.04 (1.05 is released) as a VirtualBox VM, so I fired it up. 

I connected the antenna to the Ubertooth One, then plugged it in.  My Windows 7 host didn't recognize the usb device, but I didn't expect it to.  I connect the device to the VM and looked for ubertooth software. 
 
root@kali-vbox:~# ubertooth-
ubertooth-btle    ubertooth-hop     ubertooth-specan  ubertooth-util
ubertooth-dump    ubertooth-lap     ubertooth-uap  


I ranubertooth-dump and saw a lot of random stuff.  I then went to the getting started guide and saw that they suggested running ubertooth-specan-ui, which should give a nice graphical representation of wireless activity.  I did not have that program, so I headed to the build guide.

The first thing that I did was to uninstall the current ubertooth software.  It was the 2012.10.r1 version.  They are currently on 2014-02-R2.  

I pretty much followed the directions on the build guide.  Install some compile tools and libraries first.  I already had gcc and make installed.
#sudo apt-get install cmake libusb-1.0-0-dev make gcc
 
Then I dowloaded the latest pyusb (1.0.0b1) from the project page and installed it per the readme.  I noted that 1.0.0a3 was preinstalled.  Probably should have uninstalled it first.  I also learned about the "j" flag for tar to deal with *.xz files.

root@kali-vbox:~# tar xf pyusb-1.0.0b1.tar.gz
root@kali-vbox:~# cd pyusb-1.0.0b1/
root@kali-vbox:~/pyusb-1.0.0b1# ls
root@kali-vbox:~/pyusb-1.0.0b1# python setup.py install


Then I downloaded libbtbb per the directions, made it, and installed it.

Finally, I downloaded the ubertooth code, made it, and installed it.  Then I had the ubertooth-specan-ui binary.

root@kali-vbox:~# ubertooth-
ubertooth-btle       ubertooth-dump       ubertooth-scan
ubertooth-debug      ubertooth-follow     ubertooth-specan-ui
ubertooth-dfu        ubertooth-rx         ubertooth-util





And here's the proof!
















The next step will be to build the kismet plugin and try to add it.  Kali 1.04 had kismet 2013.03.R1b already installed.  It might understand the ubertooth plugin.  It will probably be safer to uninstall it and get the latest source code.

No comments:

Post a Comment