Monday, September 10, 2012

Fresh Windows 7 Install Using Upgrade License Key

I have a Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key.  However, I like to install to a fresh disk.  I entered the key during install, but I was told it was an invalid key.  This had me a little worried.  Here is how to solve the problem.  I used option #2, the registry hack.

I installed to a fresh disk.  After installation, I tried to activate, but I was told that the key was only valid for upgrades.  Here is a fix, assuming that you are legally entitled to upgrade, meet the requirements, and have an appropriate key:
  • Open regedit
  • Go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
  • Change key MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0"
  • Close regedit
  • Open an administrative command prompt and type the following command
    C:\>slmgr /rearm
  • If it works, a dialog will appear saying "Command completed successfully.  Please restart the system for the changes to take effect"
  • Reboot and follow the activation procedure

No comments:

Post a Comment